Friday 15 April 2016

Welcome to my blog!

Hi everyone. Let me introduce myself. My name is Elaine Bennett and I am an Early Years teacher based in Essex, UK.  My passion for teaching began many years ago, when my preferred work experience placement at a local newspaper didn't come off and I ended up in a Montessori pre prep. Even after my two weeks were over, I returned as a volunteer for years to follow. I remember thinking how brilliant the practical life aspect was.... pouring, filling, dressing. My dreams of journalism went out of the window and I decided to study to be a nursery nurse working for my NNEB diploma. I am the teacher I am now because of that training. A real balance of theory and practice, with child development, observation and the power of play at the core. So now 22 years later and I'm still firmly based in early years and learning every day. I've worked at the local authority as an early years advisor,  but always balanced this with school. I'm no longer at the LA and now work as an early years consultant 1 day a week, focussing on inspiring early maths through play.  It's tough balancing school, home and the challenges of freelance work... but I love it. Being based firmly in the classrooms enables me to keep myself based in practice...and also means that the stories I share are current and I talk about children who I see growing before my eyes.

Last year I founded my own facebook page called Keeping Early Years Unique. 12 months later and we have over 10,000 members, two conferences planned and a book in the pipeline.  I also have launched campaigns to extend the eyfs to 7, as I passionately believe in the power of play for all children and not just until aged 5.
My travels to deliver training, the news and what I see on social media illustrate how play is under threat and with this children's well being.  People sometimes ask how I "get away" with letting my children play all day. I find this so sad...as this is what every child should be doing. .. playing inside and outside, freely, developing at their own pace, supported by tuned in, knowledgeable adults who respect their individual learning journeys.


So that's me in a nutshell. I'm new to blogging....so keep watching this space and I promise you the following: thought provoking,  interesting, real life, based-in-theory, reflective, honest posts...no fancy pants,  no schemes, no gimmicks just play all the way and not a sniff of lamination!


3 comments:

  1. Well done for entering this new world! So we can look forward to a revolution in blogging as well as Facebook groups huh? A formidable posse with Sue and Laura and Felicity moving Early Years in the right direction 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Hope your enthusiasm keeps it rolling forwards - unlike my attempts to blog!

    ReplyDelete